Friday, August 3, 2012

Money, Hope and Happiness


Somebody asked this today on their Facebook wall, does money buy happiness? Of course my first reaction was, no.  After posting a response, that happiness isn't born out of poverty either and then reading someone's response that it can buy "just things", I came to this, money can buy food, and food sustains life, vastly improving the quality of one's life, so therefore theoretically, money can indeed buy happiness. Ask a hungry person that question and then ask somebody who has just finished a satisfying meal the same question.
I have very little money, but what I do have I refuse to squander. I am careful with it. If I had just enough to eat and put a roof over my head, so that I could relax more, so as to be comfortable enough to be creative, then I could experience happiness in more than just moments of it. I don't want a lot of things, and am in the process of ridding myself of things. in order to have more money to eat and to enable me to pack up and move with greater ease, when the time comes for me to do so. I hope to be able to get my degree in a few years and to do that it will likely require another move.
But I digress.
I think hope is the Mother of happiness because happiness is born out of hope, arrived at in spite of circumstances and the view that it can only get better. Without hope we have nothing.
A hopeful person is a happy person even if quietly so. Happiness and hope do not need to be big and loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment